August 19, 2011

Happy Little Quilt

one year later....


and it's done! Happy Little Quilt!!!! This quilt really does make me happy. When I started cutting the squares last fall, I was in full on knitting mode and I quickly put the squares away and forgot about them.  I pulled the squares out a few weeks ago, and started cutting more 4" squares to join them. This was totally a stash busting project.

Then I started chain piecing the squares together. Using my vintage machine was such a pleasure. Why did I not know about chain piecing? What a time saver. I basically just grabbed squares and sewed. I love the random placement of color!  This is a larger lap size blanket. It is approximately 60" x 64" or 16 squares x 18 squares :) I quilted 1/4" away from each seam, though I had a bit of trouble in the middle of the quilt. I spray basted, but the middle did not hold.


For the backing, I used a vintage sheet. I am now on the hunt for vintage sheets. They are perfect because there is no piecing AND they are so affordable. The sheet above was $1.65 and I have lots of fabric leftover.  And the binding!!! I am in LOVE with this binding. It is fabric leftover from a Christmas project, and I think it is perfect for this colorful, happy little quilt.


16 comments:

  1. Love the idea of using up your scraps this way...must go and have a look at mine now,thanks for the great idea :) Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about doing something like this to use up some scraps, but I don't think mine will be nearly as happy as your is. Good idea about the sheet, too. I went thrifting yesterday and bought one sheet for $1.50. and several pillow cases for .25 - .75. Much better than buying yardage! Keep on stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is PERFECT! I L.O.V.E. this!! Can you just send it to me please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect description of your quilt. I can't help but smile when I look at it. And another great use for vintage sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's gorgeous! Chain piecing is brilliant once you get going!

    Kath
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really is such a happy little quilt, Debbie! I love the cheerful colours and especially the stripy binding which really finishes it off beautifully!
    Have a great weekend.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, Debbie! Your little quilt is just so pretty! You did a wonderful job with your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how darling!! I love your quilt! I too just learned (about a year ago I guess) how to chain stitch. It is so liberating! :o) I do it every chance I get. :o)
    I absolutely adore your backing!! And for $1.65! It is just perfect!!
    I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!!
    Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  9. you know my mama used a sheet to back a quilt back in the day...and if not hand quilting then it is perfect isn't it!!!
    I just L O V E the quit and your binding selection...would love to randomly select but I am so, well not sure what, but it is hard for me!! Thanks for the encouragement...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My very favorite kind of quilt! Patchwork.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. How relaxing to just pick a square as you go... I tend to spend such a long time placing my squares on my design wall at times... In the end my head is just spinning and I have to step away for a while to see what I am doing. I could really need to relax in my creating a bit more...

    The fact that this one is made on that beautiful vintage machine makes it even more happy to me. What a candy wrap you have created!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these happy colours, really makes a grey day brighter having something like this around :). I am collecting up materials for a colourful pillow project in my kitchen. Hope they turn out as cheerful as your gorgeous quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Debbie, love your happy quilt! It will be so great for winter and cosy times. Wonderful job and the colors are so charming. xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! It is a happy quilt with those lovely colours and fabrics, and the binding really sets it all beautifully!
    What a good price for the vintage sheet.
    I havent tried chain piecing,it sounds as if it speeds things up.
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh it is sooooo inviting! Just lovely! What size did you cut your squares? I've just recently started buying some vintage sheets at the thrift shop. Lovely lovely quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous quilt! I love how you just randomly placed the squares amongst the crisp white fabric. Very summery and pretty. The binding is just perfect too.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you are here, and I love reading your comments!! I will answer any questions you may have right here, and I love to visit your blogs as often as I can!!