Today lets use them in their natural state. Simple patchwork!
Today I am going to show you how to make an easy peasy mug rug that you will use all the time. Do you want to know a secret? I will share how to "piece" all of these little squares without breaking a sweat.
1. Here's what you'll need
(16) 2.5" squares (mini charms or cut scraps)
(1) 10" piece of fusible featherweight interfacing. You can get some that is printed with grids to keep things super straight, but I like to live on the edge :)
(1) 10" square of batting (SAVE THOSE SCRAPS!!)
(1) 8.5" square coordinating fabric
(1) Package medium ric rac
2. Grab your interfacing, and with the bumpy side facing up, place all of your squares with edges touching and as even as you can. Make it cute and iron them in place once you're happy with the arrangement.
3. Here's the fun part. Fold the strip over right sides facing and sew a 1/4" seam.
4.Repeat twice more.
5. Then using a small pair of scissors, cut the center of the seam.
6. Open it up and press. Repeat the steps 3-6 going the next direction.
See! Easy peasy patchwork.
7. Now take your batting scrap and place it underneath your cute little patchwork. Quilt as desired. You are only quilting the top and batting. The bottom layer will come later.
Trim and square up your little quilt.
8.Cut your ric rac in 4 pieces slightly longer than your square. I baste mine to the edge so it's easier to sew on the backing. Simply match the edge of the ric rac with the edge of your patchwork.
9. Now we're ready to add the backing. Cut your backing fabric 8.5" square.
10. Put your quilt and backing wrong sides facing and pin or use your clover clips to hold together. Leave about a 3" opening for turning. Stitch, using a 1/4" seam. Clip the corners and any bulky ric rac that might be in the corners. Turn your patchwork right side out through the opening and give it a good press, paying special attention to the opening.
11.Top stitch all the edges and give it another press.
12. Jump up and down that you have a cute little mug rug for your sewing space!!
Hope you'll give this a try and make a bunch for you and for your non-quilty friends!!
Happy Holiday Weekend!!