January 17, 2013

Flea Market Fancy

This story starts in the fall when I went to the craft show in the woods with my Mom and Becky. We were drinking hot apple cider and taking a break, when we spotted a girl with the cutest patchwork bag. Becky said she loved it and really wanted one. I thought "what a great Christmas gift" and started planning the fabric and how I was going to duplicate the bag we saw.

She said she wanted something with a vintage vibe, and Flea Market Fancy popped into my mind right away. I have wanted to work with this fabric and this was the perfect project. I think this blue posie print is my favorite .  I also made all the ladies in my family a metal frame coin purse using the leftover fabrics. I wish I would have thought to take a photo of them all together because they were really cute!

I have been seeing pictures of a quilt block that has been called both "Road to Tennessee" and X's and O's. I am going to call it "Hugs and Kisses" because I almost sign off a text or email with xoxo.  :) I really wanted to try my hand at making some, and I still had a ton of Flea Market Fancy leftover.
These blocks are so much fun to make! I love how the colors of FMF work so well together!  This is the finished top, and I am going to do a scrappy binding and back it with the blue posie. I think this is going to be a birthday gift for a sweet someone who is starting to collect Fiesta Ware. These colors reminded me so much of that dishware and I know (hope) she will love it.

16 comments:

  1. What a cute bag! FMF is by far my favorite fabric to date. Love the blocks you are working on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hat a cute bag and quilt top!! Everything you make puts a smile on my face. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both projects are so cute! I've not seen that fabric before. it reminds me of the 70's and my first quilt I made. Lots of bright flower patterns. Vintage, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bag! Love the fabrics.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Really love those colours and the things you have made! That bad is really really lovely! Happy weekend, Pam :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bag! I can't seem to spell these days ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you can see the x's and o's when you hold up the fabric. What a lucky friend. Have fun. Joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a gorgeous bag, Debbie! I love the colours and the fabrics very much, and the quilt is lovely too....love the o's and x's!
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely! I really like that quilt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful bag and quilt!! Love the pattern! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely and cheery and, as a former Fiesta collector, perfect for someone who loves Fiesta.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debbie that bag is so pretty! I really like the quilt pattern too. I have yet to cut into my FMF. This is great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your cheery quilt and your fun blog. I am a new follower! -Derrith

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such cheery fabric and I love the quilt block, the white squares really set it off.
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I love the bag and the quilt too! Could you give me the dimensions of the bag (or the square size), as a friend wants me to make one for her and I decided I could guess or just ask!. What are the square sizes on the XO work? Your fabric choices are amazing....that is about the toughest part for me!
    Thanks!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the bag and the quilt! A friend saw this on pinterest and I want to make the bag for her. Could you share the square sizes for the bag and the quilt? Your fabric choices are tremendous -- I think that is the toughest part! Keep up the great work!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you are here, and I love reading your comments!! I will answer any questions you may have right here, and I love to visit your blogs as often as I can!!