December 8, 2011

December 8 - Green Coffee Cake


Every year, for many years, I made a homemade, from scratch, sour cream coffee cake for Christmas morning. It was a recipe made out of tradition more than anything else.  One year, on a lark, I made a pistachio cake recipe that was a relic from the 70's.  My kids LOVED it. They named it the Green Coffee Cake, and it has now replaced the time intensive sour cream coffee cake.  It is delicious AND really easy to make.

Here's the recipe if you'd like to give it a try!

For the cake:

1 18.25 oz. box yellow cake mix
1 3.4 oz. box instant pistachio pudding
1 c. sour cream (you can use light if you want)
4 eggs
1/2 c. vegetable oil

For the filling:

1/2 c. chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans) you want these finely chopped
4 T. granulated sugar
1 t. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl blend together the cake and pudding mix. Add the sour cream, eggs and oil. Mix well. In a small bowl, mix together the nuts, sugar and cinnamon.  Pour half of the cake batter into a greased and floured (or use Bakers Joy) 10" tube pan. Put half of the nut mixture on the batter in the pan and press down lightly. Pour the remaining batter in the pan and top with with remaining nut mixture. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool in pan for about 10-15 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack.

Happy Baking!!!

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea, Debbie. So easy and Green! Thanks for sharing.
    xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, stopping by for the first time. The cake looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks yum! My Grandma Mac always had pistachio pudding for us when we were kids. You made me think of her tonight. She was so wonderful and I miss her. Thanks for the sweet memory tonight. And the delish recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummmmmmm looks & sounds delish, might give it a go if i can find the ingrediants over here :D
    Have a great weekend Debbie
    Lol Karen x
    ps am really enjoying your daily christmas posts x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, Debbie, this looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Hope your weekend is filled with coziness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I made your green coffee cake last night. I used pistachios (chopped) for the nuts. I put it in a bundt pan for baking. When I turned it out on the cake plate-- I cooled a little-- and put on a powdered sugar, milk, vanilla glaze-- drizzled on the top and sides. My family loved it and asked me to keep the recipe!!! So it is a keeper here too!! Thanks so much. Jodi

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you are here, and I love reading your comments!! I will answer any questions you may have right here, and I love to visit your blogs as often as I can!!